Feeling Low With Brendan Losch



The ever popular line, "drove to Chicago" will be timeless soon enough.  A great city, a clean city, good pizza.  Whilst in Chicago, look up Brendan Losch.  As with all the bands I review, he's the kind of artist you simply want to keep listening to.  Or, the kind of artist to which you want to keep listening.  I guess.

Embracing the lonely nature of being human.  According to Losch, merely by being a "being" we are separated from other "beings" and therefore exposed to the ruthlessness of loneliness.  Somehow we have to come to grips with this looming philosophical idea of alone.  It seems some song lyrics contradict others:  you're never alone.  Three songs later, I'm on my own.  One song later, Everything you've ever known has left you alone.  I guess that dual nature is reflective of experience; a time for never being alone, a time for being alone.

I'm not going to bother listing comparable bands or artists.  It's the kind of music you've heard in your right brain your whole life.  Now you've actually found what you've been listening to all along.  The words don't matter.  In this situation it's better just to listen and go from there.  I'd recommend starting with Time Stood Still.


I'd also recommend listening while driving out into the country sitting in the back of an early 90's station wagon lying down facing out the back, looking up at the trees from underneath as they go passing by.  Scratched paint, rust over the wheels, one hubcap missing never to be replaced.  Preferably with some friends you like headed to a place you like where you have some memories from childhood where you can eat some good cheese and red wine and throw a frisbee.  Long pants, a t-shirt, sandals and cheap old sunglasses you can't even remember where you bought.  That's what I picture.

Ambient tones and slow, simple progressions haunt the ethereal and groovy flow of this album.  I truly mean this is as a compliment that I want to listen to this album while asleep.  I want my dreams to follow suit and I want to happily travel through this smooth, dreamy beautiful musical lo-fi world in a way that only a dream could process, flip and verbalize into something truly creative - wild yet somehow understandable and even likable.  How many times have I woken up from a gorgeous dream wishing I could go back to the world my subconscious mind created.  It didn't even make sense but existential hopes were nonetheless explored, portrayed, experienced and enjoyed.

Sip your wine, savor your cheese.  Pick up that frisbee...you're not alone.

No comments: