I Hate You Just Kidding: EP Album Review

for best results, listen below while reading
"Days Grow Longer" seems to be the result of a musical maturing going on behind the scenes over the past few years.  New branches have grown on their humble indie folk vine though I loved the old branches too.  Untitled EP was nothing to overlook.  The name is cute and the tunes are mostly happy but I admit that I scrub bandcamp for emerging artists whose talent clearly surpasses their current clout in the musical world and i hate you just kidding is a prime example of the tasty fruit of this mostly fruitless endeavor on which I embark from time to time on a whim or when I can't sleep at night.

Oh to quit my day job and be a band manager for emerging indie artists!  Clearly not a lucrative vocation.

The first lesson learned in reviewing mostly unknown artists is that you can't waste time.  You listen to a song or an album until you don't want to listen anymore.  If you find yourself adding the artist to your recently titled playlist "song that make me feel cool" then you know you've stumbled upon a winner.  i hate you just kidding makes me picture an old house on an acre of land off the beaten path.  Lemonade on the upper wrap-around porch and a soft and sunny Alabama sky on a mid-summer's eve.  In the glow of the setting sun, a simple stage appears with strung-bulb lighting strewn in the tree above.  A clever, full crowd of young and grown alike assemble as if the intimate music session was publicized.  Midway into the evening you feel connected to an age-old experience of the tragedy of the human condition.  But you're okay with it.  You've accepted it.  You smile as the evening ends and you say goodnight to friends you've known forever.  


My suggestion for moving forward for the band is spend a weekend listening to Untitled EP and without losing track of how you've grown and where you've come from, remember the simple captivation of a story well told, a lyric well sung, a poem well crafted and long-standing sadness well written out with pen and paper.

I look forward to the next EP.


    

No comments: